About Outlook Express
Outlook Express comes standard on most Microsoft Windows computers. For this
reason it has become one of the most widely used email clients. For light or
new email users, Outlook Express will do the job.
The following instruction were created using Outlook Express version 6. Older
versions dating back to version 4, follow the same pattern.
You must phone GoCom Canada and have them activate the Email account prior
to following these instructions.
- Start Outlook Express.
- Depending on your current configuration, different windows may pop up while
opening Outlook Express. If you see any of the following, do as the associated
instructions say, otherwise simply close the window:
||Say YES if this is going to be your primary email address.
|In most cases CANCEL the import. You can always import messages later,
and in most cases there is nothing worth importing anyway.
||CANCEL for now. Wait until after following these instructions before
connecting to the internet.
At this point you should have the Outlook Express screen
in front of you, with no other windows open.
- Click on Tools, from the drop down menu click on Accounts. (if you are unable
to click on Tools, it may be because another popup window needs a response.
Please see step 2)
You should now have the accounts window in front of you.
- Switch to Mail tab by clicking on it.
- Remove any Mail Accounts that you are no longer using
- Highlight account by clicking on it.
- Click the Remove button.
- When asked if you are sure, click Yes.
- Click on Add then Mail to begin adding the new Mail account.
- Enter your display name.
Hint: Your display name will only be seen by those you send email. You
are allowed upper and lowercase letters, numbers, spaces and punctuation so
you can make this look nice.
- Click Next.
- Enter your email address. Make sure you use all lowercase letters with NO
- Click Next (if the Outlook Express does not like the email address, go back
and change it. Do NOT proceed to next step Outlook Express approves the address).
- Enter the server names as shown below.
- Click Next (if Outlook Express does not like the server names, go back and
check there are no spaces, commas or other characters out of place. Do NOT
proceed until Outlook Express likes the server names)
- Change the account name to be your FULL email address, including @gocom.ca
at the end.
- Enter your password.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish. You have now created an E-Mail account in Outlook Express.
You still need to make one last modification before your account will work.
- Highlight the new E-Mail account pop3.gocom.ca by clicking on it.
- Click on the Properties button.
- On Properties window, switch to Servers tab by clicking on the word Servers
across the top.
- Put a mark in the check box “My server requires authentication”.
- Click the Apply button then the “OK” button.
- Click the Close button on Internet Account window.
You are now ready to read and write your E-Mail! To make sure everything is
configured properly, try sending yourself an email. If you are able to receive
the test email back into your Inbox, then everything should be working fine.